You may need a gift or two for family members or friends. Here are some ideas to consider for folks who have lived in Galt and would like a reminder of their old hometown:
1. Consider sending a packet of note cards with the four pen and ink drawings done by the late Pat Hovorka, a local artist. There are three note cards for each of the four drawings of old Galt: the Brewster Store, the S.P. Railroad Depot, The Galt High "Grand Old Lady", and the Rae House Museum. You might want to consider using the Galt note cards yourself, when you send letters or invitations to a friend. They are 4 1/4" X 5 1/2". A pack of twelve notes is $5,00. Sent by US mail, add $2.
2. There are a few Galt commemorative afghans (lap blankets) left. These beautiful throws are cranberry and cream colored and show historic scenes of Galt. Forty dollars ($40) will put one of these keepsakes in your home or the home of someone you love. They are 64" high and 47" wide, not counting the 2" fringe. Sent by US mail, add $4.
3. The new cookbook, "More Tastes of History", which has recipes from families in this area in it, is available for $12.00. It has 175 recipes. The back folds out to allow it to stand up for easy reading. Sent by US mail, add $2.50.
4. This is the pioneer book, Tapestry, with writings of 19 stories by pioneers in the Galt, Thornton, Herald, and Acampo area. Click here to read the book. The book is 42 pages and costs $12. If you want it sent by US mail, add $2.50.
5. What about a gold souvenir Rae House ornament for someone who remembers Miss Rae's Centennial home. It is only $5.00. It will be perfect on a Christmas tree. It is made so that one can slightly bend each of three parts to give it a 3D look. Sent by US mail, add $2.00
6. A 30 minute video of professionally filmed history of Galt. VHS format is $16. Sent by US mail, add $2.50. DVD is $20 plus $2 for US mail.
7. Consider giving a gift of membership in the Galt Area Historical Society to a friend. It is easy to wrap, and will give your friend a newsletter each month to give them news of historic preservation work in Galt. It will be a year-long reminder of your thoughtfulness. Sometimes, the newsletter becomes a great link to the community for those who no longer live here. How about getting yourself a membership too! (Individuals, $20, Family, $40 - applications are available from the Society, (209) 745-0951, at the Rae House Museum, or at the Marian O. Lawrence Library. You may print out the application.
To order, ask questions or make comments, call Genie Olson at 209-745-0951
Galt Area Historical Society
P.O. Box 782
Galt, Ca. 95632
Galt Area Historical Society Home page